Pages

Thursday 8 March 2012

Error 1723: Can not uninstall JRE update X from Windows 7

I came across this today whilst helping one of our install techs update Java for a customer on a machine he was installing.

It was Windows 7 Ent 64bit SP1 with Java v19 installed.  Upon attempting to uninstall he received the error:

Error 1723: Can not uninstall JRE update from Windows 7.

After a bit of digging around I discovered the error was referring to a missing DLL.

By going into the registry and finding the MSI entry I tried an uninstall using the following command:

msiexec.exe /x{26A24AE4-039D-4CA4-87B4-2F83216019FF}

This was found here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall   -  this is a great tip for any app packagers needing to discover the msi registered to a piece of software for uninstalls etc...

Again I received the same error message.  To enable error logging I added /L javauninst.log and discovered it was missing the "regutils.dll" located here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin

I copied the file across from an existing machine and voilĂ  - it worked !

Another Java/MSI quirk but non the less slightly perplexing to say the least. 

Hope this helps someone else sometime...

C

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know if this helped.

I'd really appreciate any comments (well, only nice ones) so please feel free to let me know what you think of the blog and also ask for further help...