The naming convention in non existent - unlike their competition such as Dell and HP who have meaningful, descriptive file names for their drivers and respective folders.
If you require a solution to deploy Lenovo drivers throughout your estate then don't despair - there is an answer.
In addition to the handy [yeah, don't do us any favors Lenovo] TVT System Updater tool they provide for individual clients they also developed the "Update Retriever" & "ThinInstaller" as part of their Think Vantage Toolkit (TVT) branded client tool solution.
To configure SCCM to deliver driver updates (it's also capable of MS updates but that's another story) there are a couple of solutions out there but this is the one I settled with:
- You have a deployment solution in place already with relevant TaskSequence - if not please see the wonderful WindowsNoob tutorials- big shout out to Niall Brady for this site - it's an invaluable resource to any SCCM tech.
- You are proficient with SCCM
- You know the machine type of the Lenovo machine you are using
- Download the above software and install Update Retriever [UR] locally on your machine or the SCCM server. Set it up and create a folder to act as the repository for the update and driver files and share it out - mines called "Update Retiever". Tell UR to download to this folder (follow Lenovo's instructions if your struggling but it's straight forward)
- Create a package in SCCM for ThinInstaller (TI) from the files that are extracted from the crappy compressed .exe you end up with and within the package create a program as below:
- Create a batch file and call it something meaningful like "copyfiles.bat"
- Within the batch file use the command: xcopy.exe \\SCCMSERVER\DISTRIBUTIONPOINT\PACKAGENAME\*.* c:\lenovo\thininstaller\ /E /D where SCCMSERVER = your servername/IP of server DISTRIBUTIONPOINT = the folder used for your DP packages (i.e. SMSPKGD$) and PACKAGENAME = the name of the package (i.e. LCT000B8). This will copy the ThinInstaller software locally to the client as it needs to run from a local folder and doesn't extract and "install" as such.
- Create an "Install Software" task sequence entry under "State Restore" that calls the batch file "copyfiles.bat"
- Create a "Run Command Line" task sequence and call it something like "Run ThinInstaller"
- Use cmd line: cmd.exe /c thininstaller.exe /CM -search A -action INSTALL -repository \\SCCMSERVER\Update_Retriever -noicon -includerebootpackages 1,2,3,4 -noreboot *don't forget to change this path to suit your config.
- Start in: c:\lenovo\thininstaller -this is where the files were copied to.
- Time-out - 120